GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Sealing gaps in fieldstone foundation

daschrier | Posted in General Questions on

I have a 1900 colonial home in MA with a fieldstone/rubble foundation.

While air sealing recently, I discovered one area of the basement near the basement door, which has a 1/2-1″ by 4 ft gap where the mortar has crumbled away over the years. Is there anything I can do temporarily to seal this up until I am able to repoint this come spring/summer?

I could spray foam it, but it would probably be a huge headache to remove the foam when it comes time to repoint the stone. Would backing rods and caulk be a better option?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. ohioandy | | #1

Temporary till summer? Two old t-shirts stuffed in there should perform admirably and remove easily.

2. charlie_sullivan | | #2

Tape might outperform t-shirts.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

David,
    If you want to buy 1-inch backer rod, they make it. It costs more than an old T-shirt, but it will probably perform better.

Here is a link: One-inch backer rod.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |