GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Longest fastenmaster headlock screw is too short

kenorakq | Posted in General Questions on

I apologise for returning to this as I asked then question months ago and though I had it sorted out!

In in Canada p9n0e6!

I am about to order the first bunch material for my build and am running into some issues… The wall stack up is …….from interior

A-1/2 drywall
B-Certainteed intelligent membrane
C-2×6 framing with fibreglass bat insulation
D-7/16 OSB
E-4 inches EPS foam
F-Tyvek
G-3/4 inch plywood ripped to 4 inch width installed vertically to hold
the foam to wall and provide mailing surface for hardiboard siding and rain screen

Problem is I can’t source screws long enough to penetrate the framing
1 1/2 inches

My math indicates I need at least 6 1/2 inch screws.

Thanks to Dana who pointed out the fastenmaster headlock which I thought would be the answer but appear to be a bit short…

Ideas would be welcome… I’m panicking

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. RD3Sunworks | | #1

Tim,

It's only been a year or so that I used 7 1/2 " Fastenmaster Headlok Screws--at that time, they offered even longer lengths. . See my article on this website, Making an Old Tract House Sunnier and More Efficient, under the Green Homes Tab. I know you typically cannot source them from the big home stores. I got them online, but cannot remember from where. Also, there are different styles, and perhaps not all styles are available in the length you need. If you still cannot find them, and no one else answers, let me know, and I will actually get out of my chair and research the source I used.

2. RD3Sunworks | | #2

Tim,

So I remembered that I used Amazon.com as one of my sources. Unfortunately, their website is a little screwed up when you look for Headloks. At first you can only find up to 6" in length, but when you click on that size to get more product details, then all of a sudden several, longer sizes show up as options. Also, a small, almost invisible (something like the tiny print for commenting on this website) selection box might show up that you can click on, scroll down and select much longer sizes. Direct link that you can copy and paste should be:

http://www.amazon.com/FastenMaster-FMHLGM006-250-Heavy-Duty-Flathead-250-Count/dp/B002GD51L2/ref=pd_sim_60_42?ie=UTF8&dpID=31KjmtIWnzL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0C420KVSQGS2B7M6HXX4

3. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #3
  4. pbyar | | #4

FMHLGM007 = 7", FMHLGM612 = 6 1/2", etc.

5. Rob Myers | | #5

Tim: I am outside of Ottawa and just completed a build using 13" Headloks. You can order them in any size by calling Ottawa Fastener Supply (ottawafastenersupply.com) but it would be better to find somewhere closer to where you are located - shipping will be expensive and with the low Canadian dollar the screws have almost doubled in price since when I first bought them.

6. dankolbert | | #6

You can get SIPS screws in 1/2" increments. Shouldn't be hard to find. Roofing suppliers carry them.

7. propeller | | #7

The Canadian distributor for Heco screws should have what you are looking for at a decent price.http://www.herrmannframes.com/index.php

8. Irishjake | | #8

Tim,

These are the screws my engineer approved for my exterior insulation strategy, and they come in lengths up to 18".
    http://www.trufast.com/products/sip_nail/siptp.html

9. Irishjake | | #9

Tim,

On another note....nearly every salesperson, and builder who has installed Hardie Plank siding steered me away from it (I like you had initially spec'd it for my siding). I live in Zone 6A and there have been numerous occasions where the siding has failed, disintegrated, cracked, delaminated in our cold environments. I don't have a personal opinion about it myself.

The other element to the Hardie Siding here, is that prior to cutting even one piece, we are supposed to notify any other homeowner within 100', due to the airborne silica that is produced when it is cut.

I've been steered towards, LP Smartside, Miratec, EcoSide-Bold, (all wood composite) or Celect PVC as options.....I still haven't made my own choice yet, because I'm not at that stage of construction yet.

Good luck

10. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #10

Brad,
    You can reduce the airborne dust from cutting Hardi to nil by using either shears or a dust collection system on your saw. We don't have enough cold weather here in the PNW to know how it does in cold climates, but it holds up very well in a constantly wet environment.

11. Chaubenee | | #11

Try Allura in regards to fiber cement that can be cut and there isn't the same silica issue.

12. kenorakq | | #12

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

I will be checking into alternatives to Hardiboard as well

Looks like I'm not "screwed" yet (pun obviously intended)...now I hope the Cdn dollar doesn't make some already pricey materials too crazy expensive.

On the good side I managed to acquire a lot of foam for the project at ridiculously low $$$ so I guess I shouldn't be-atch :)

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |