GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Need advice on surface temperature and spraying to 2-part foam

agurkas | Posted in General Questions on

I got the 2-part foam kit to deal with the leaky band joist in the crawl space (it is attached to the full basement). This whole week I kept the tanks by the heat vent, so they are nice and toasty at 70 degrees.

I also diverted one of the vents into crawl space and got steady air temperature at 62 there in preparation to spraying. I thought several days would get the band joist to about same temperature, but Boston weather is not helping me, so I have about 54 degree surface temps.

Question: kits says I need 60-degree surface and air temperature. Should I scrap the project and wait until May? Or 6 degree surface temperature difference is just splitting hairs?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. exeric | | #1

Be conservative here. The risk/reward of gambling with temperature on 2-part foam is definitely not in your interest. You would live with the consequences of a poor choice for years or perhaps decades afterward.

2. agurkas | | #2

I ended up making sure both chemicals were at 80 degrees, crawlspace air was at 67, though surface ended up being about 55, I used a trick I found through research - make 1st layer less than half an inch, which warms up the surface.

Came out just fine, but I am not going to do that again. Too nerve-wracking.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |