GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Do I need to vent soffits in with an unvented roof assembly?

user-471779 | Posted in General Questions on

I have large 4 foot exterior soffits. I am spray foaming the inside of the roof, an unvented attic assembly. Do I still need to vent my exterior soffit overhangs? Do I need to worry about the air trapped in that cavity if I do not?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Dean,
    Q. "Do I need to vent soffits in with an unvented roof assembly?"

A. No.

2. Expert Member
    ARMANDO COBO | | #2

Even though codes do not require it, I do vent all my soffits and parapet walls in unvented attic assemblies. I'm of the opinion that when the overhang cavities get wet, there should be a way to dry. There is no cost increase to use ventilated soffit material, and I rather be safe than sorry. I call it risk management.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Armando,
    Your approach is harmless. However, soffit cavities shouldn't get wet unless you have a roof leak or an ice dam -- and if you have one of those problems, a soffit vent won't solve it.

Moreover, ventilation sometimes raises the humidity level of a cavity rather than lowering it, as anyone with a vented crawl space soon learns. This would rarely be a problem with a soffit -- but during the summer, if a hot, humid day follows a cool night, introducing outdoor air into the soffit will make the wood more damp, not dryer.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |