GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Where to find Energy Star floor plans?

baclontz | Posted in General Questions on

I am looking to have a home built on my lot in the near future, and am interested in getting an energy star home. Do I need to specifically look for house plans that are designed to meet the energy star standard? Or can any house plan work? If I need to get special plans, where can I find these? I have not had much luck searching on google, and the few I have found do not specify which version of the standard they adhere to!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Billy,
    If you want your new home to be certified as an Energy Star home, you need to choose a builder who is familiar with the Energy Star program. Achieving certification has less to do with the house plans -- although bad plans are a bad idea -- and more to do with construction methods.

If you can't find a builder in your area who is familiar with Energy Star requirements, you should find a RESENT-certified home energy rater and ask advice. RESNET-certified professionals can be found by searching on the RESNET web site.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |