GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Passive radon system design for crawl space sub – membrane suction

ylekyote | Posted in General Questions on

I have a 27 x 36 foot rectangular crawlspace that has bare dirt floor. It reads around 30 when I conduct tests for 48 hours.

I want to place 191′ of 2″ ID ABS irrigation pipe in crawlspace in a grid pattern with 4 cross laterals. I was going to run a 5″ solid ABS plastic pipe from CS floor to most top place on roof, that’s 22′ of vertical rise of a 5″ plastic pipe.

Temperature under the membrane is 42 deg F coldest Winter (frequently around 50), and about 50-55 deg F at hottest in Summer.

I’m not sure how close/size I should drill the drain-sunction holes in the horizontal pipes on the ground. I was considering every 1 to 2′, in a spiral type pattern, so that water (if ever) can always escape nearby. And 1/2″ dia holes. Any ideas?

Does anyone know a formula or other means to calculate what size and length horizontal pipe is required for enough suction from the soil, based perhaps on sq footage?

And size/frequency of drilled holes?

I’m planning to install a 5″ Vertical black or white ABS/PVC pipe 21′ up side of house to make natural flow better.

How do I figure the math to plan and lay horizontal/vertical pipes to provide enough draft to vent the radon trapped under the vaper barrier on floor send it up the radon roof pipe?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Andy,
    It looks like you have posted your questions in two locations. You should visit the page where your questions were first posted -- you'll find my detailed response on that page. Here is the link: Response to Andy's questions.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |