GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Differentiating high solar gain and low solar gain windows

Rob Myers | Posted in General Questions on

This question is related to a recent thread on measuring performance of existing windows.
Is a solar incidence meter/heat lamp setup a reasonable way to differentiate high solar gain and low solar gain windows? The solar meter is sensitive from 400 to 1100 nm (but not a flat response curve) and readings were taken at a baseline and then with glazing between the lamp and the meter. I understand that the measurement may not be accurate in terms of absolute SHGC but am I correct in assuming that there should be a measurable difference in the % transmission under these conditions?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. charlie_sullivan | | #1

Yes, as a way to see that windows are different this should work fine, even though, as you say, it won't provide an accurate measurement of SHGC.

2. Rob Myers | | #2

Thanks Charlie, I just wanted to be sure that my reasoning was sound.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |