GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Is it OK to run the main water supply line up into attic to be supplied throughout the home?

step0921 | Posted in General Questions on

30 year or more home, built on a slab, and water lines are being damaged and lines are breaking. All lines are coming from under the slab in each part of the home where water is needed.

I now have a water leak that could be further under the slab and not reachable. I recently repaired a pipe at the back wall of my home where as l had to dig under the slab and it was reachable. Now at this time this leak is not and cannot be seen. What must I do?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. iLikeDirt | | #1

Do you live where it freezes in winter?

2. davidmeiland | | #2

It's hard to repair under-slab plumbing when it starts to fail in multiple places. I would re-route it into the attic and down to each fixture. Best case IMO is to use continuous runs of PEX with NO fittings in the attic, so your plumber will have to plan the layout a bit, and the pipe should be very well insulated and protected from damage so that people walking through the attic insulation can't step on it.

3. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #3

Cedric,
    Sorry to hear about what must be a very stressful problem. David has given you good advice. Make sure the new water lines are run close to the ceiling and that there is adequate insulation above them.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Cedric,
    It would still be useful to know your location or climate zone. In very cold climates (northern Minnesota or northern New England, for example), it's hard to keep water pipes from freezing if the pipes are located in an attic.

In cold climates, even a very minor air leak or air pathway that allows exterior air into the attic and through the insulation can freeze plumbing. The problem is solvable, but any contractors who work in the attic must understand the issues and pay meticulous attention to air sealing and insulation.

5. step0921 | | #5

I live in southeast Texas, not much winter.

6. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #6

Cedric,
    In your climate, plumbing pipes can be installed in an attic, as long as the pipes are installed under the insulation layer. (It wouldn't hurt to insulate the pipes with foam pipe insulation before the pipes are buried.)

Needless to say, if you find the work daunting, you should call a plumber.

7. user-1135248 | | #7

It's the standard fix for pinhole leaks in under-slab copper
    in Florida. My parents had to do it to their place, and quite
    a few other houses in the area suffer the same problem. Of
    course the runs are all uninsulated, so daytimes bring a nice
    big slug of rather hot water out either tap.

While I would have expected components from the concrete to be
    responsible for the corrosion, apparently it's the water itself
    because the pinholes evidently start on the *inside*. Full of
    sulfides and other yuck; water quality isn't very good there...

_H*

8. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #8

Hobbit,
    Another good reason to sleeve your waterlines under slabs. Pex in 3" PVC with sweep elbows can be replaced whenever the whim strikes.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |