GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Flashing for window installed in double brick wall

_matt_p | Posted in General Questions on

I am looking for advice on proper flashing / installation of a replacement window into a rough opening in a double brick wall. I am a complete novice to this, so I appreciate any advice. I do not plan on using a window buck, but install the windows directly into the brick opening, that is to maximize window space in existing opening. It will be an innie window. I have a bit less than an inch gap between wall and window on each side. I plan on using caulk to to seal this, but would not know if there is any way or advantage to use flashing here? The window will be about ten inches deep into the wall ( recall innie window). I plan on creating a sloped window sill where I use peel and stick flashing tape underneath the sill. How does that plan sound ? In short, I plan on not using any flashing other than for the window sill. Just caulk for top left and right gaps between window and brick. My reasoning is that it would be really unsightly to put the stick and peel tape straight against the brick, underneath the sill I can put flashing tape, of course. Comments are much appreciated, I hope I have been clear enough in my description. Thanks in advance !

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. _matt_p | | #1

It might be helpful to know that I am planning on installing a tilt and turn window attached with mounting brackets ... Forgot to mention this in my original post ...

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Matthias,
    I've never done this work, so I encourage experienced GBA readers to post suggestions.

The first question is, what will you use for a sill material? The old rough opening may include a brick sill or a granite sill. (Granite is better than brick.) Not all sills in brick buildings are waterproof, but whatever your building has may have passed the test of time.

If you need a sill, you could use 16-ounce copper flashing (adaptable to a tight rough opening), or Azek (or a similar brand of PVC trim).

For flashing details, you may want to check out a useful Fine Homebuilding article by Mike Sloggatt, "New Window in a Brick House.". I'll post a few photos from the article below. (You can click on the photos, one at a time, to enlarge them.)

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |