GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Hot water to toilet

DEEPFISH | Posted in General Questions on

Hi, I had this idea that I could purposely run the hot water to the toilets in the home to help heat the small bathrooms which by design have no supplemental heat source except a ceiling heat lamp on a timer. The homes are 900 sq.ft single heat source via direct vent gas wall heater (Rinai). My question is why not use a bit of hot water to heat up the toilet and create some extra heat for the bathroom and make a nice warm seat. I know thattypically after flushing the toilet is kwhen the person leaves the room vs before they use it so that in itself may be a reason this is a stupid idea but just thought id throw it out there for comments. Look forward to responses ? Murray

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. josh_in_mn | | #1

If you've ever had to use a toilet filled with hot steamy water, you might not think this is such a good idea. It is uncomfortable, and tends to volatilize anything stinky. It's awful.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Murray,
    This is an inefficient way to deliver space heat. There is no easy way to regulate the heat (which, many days of the year, is undesirable). I think this is a bad idea.

3. DEEPFISH | | #3

Yes, its is a bad idea I agree especially on the non-regulated issue. just thought id throw it out there. Thanks for the feedback. Ill stick with the heat lamps and lkeave the toilet be. M

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |