GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Roofing / snow & ice safety / uninsulated in zone 5-6

Calloused_Thumb | Posted in General Questions on

I’m working on a house on the edge between Zone 5/6. It is uninsulated and sadly its going to stay that way.

It also needs a new roof, and that’s not optional.

Of course it will keep getting ice dams and large icicles (boo hiss).

My question has to do falling snow & ice. The main roof is a hip. So falling snow/ice raises two issues.

1. Front and back porch already take a beating from above. I can see how the shingles fared (maybe halved their lifespan) How does metal hold up in these situations?

2. One side of the house contains a walk way with traffic, and its right in the fall zone from the 2nd story (20ft to grade). Would a smooth metal roof with the recommended snow guards be just as safe as a shingle roof?

Thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Mark,
    Q. "Front and back porch already take a beating from above. I can see how the shingles fared (maybe halved their lifespan). How does metal hold up in these situations?"

A. Much better than asphalt shingles.

Q. "One side of the house contains a walk way with traffic, and its right in the fall zone from the 2nd story (20 ft to grade). Would a smooth metal roof with the recommended snow guards be just as safe as a shingle roof?"

A. I suppose the answer depends on the type of snow guards, whether there are enough snow guards, and how well they are installed. Ice on a roof can easily pull down a plumbing ventilation stack or a metal chimney, so it's conceivable that ice will also pull down snow guards. You need an experienced roofer to anchor the snow guards properly.

You might also want to talk to a lawyer. I often see signs on buildings that read, "Beware of falling ice." I wonder whether those signs provide any protection from liability when someone is injured. I can't imagine they help much, but I'm not a lawyer.

One final point: if you are a low-income person who can't afford to install insulation, you might want to call up your state's weatherization agency. You may be eligible for weatherization work that includes insulation, at no cost to you.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |