GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Replacing siding – can siding contractor install insulation?

zidanemoggy | Posted in General Questions on

We are having the siding torn out and replaced on one wall of our house. Zone 4a. We want to insulate (currently none in the walls) and add sheathing (as per code, there is currently none of this either). We are thinking of rigid foam board (which I think would go closer to the outside than the sheathing) or fibreglass batts (which would go closer to the inside than the sheathing). We won’t do this ourselves because of extreme risk to life and limb, given the building height.

Are siding people typically able to install insulation from the outside? If not, I guess we’d have to get in an insulation person.So what’s the protocol for having these people work together? Does the siding person do as much work as possible then wait for the insulation person to do their work, then finish up? What if one of the contractors is more cautious and wants scaffolding, while the other one is planning to do it all from ladders? It all seems a bit complicated. I want to make sure I ask the right questions and understand their expectations.
Thanks, Catherine

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Catherine,
    Call up a builder, remodeling contractor, or general contractor, and explain the work you need done. They do work like this all the time.

If you prefer to hire a siding contractor directly, you can. Ask the siding contractor if they also do insulation work -- they'll tell you.

Of course, whenever you hire a contractor, it's good to choose someone with a good reputation, who communicates well and provides answers to your questions. Not all siding contractors are skilled at insulation work. But ask a few questions.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |