GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Best way to install a single-pane stationary window in a shower?

homepanman | Posted in General Questions on

We are doing a complete bathroom remodel. My wife wants a window in the new 36′ x 72″ walk-in shower. It will look into another room with a view to the outside. The “window” could just be a single 3/8″ pane of tempered glass. ideally, it would be flush with the shower side of the tile wall. I’m looking for the best way to frame the wall, install and waterproof the “window”. Window opening would be approximately 36″ wide and 48″ tall, starting at 48″ from floor of shower. Tile will be floor to ceiling in shower. Ceiling at 8′.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2310254 | | #1

Schulter-Kerdi is an excellent system with lots of components for waterproofing a wet area. Just my personal opinion, but I think you would want to install the window so it is not being drenched by the shower head.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Jim,
    Q. "What's the best way to install a single-pane stationary window in a shower?"

A. Don't.

Lots of opportunities for leaks.

3. STEPHEN SHEEHY | | #3

I put one in my shower. Similar to Jim's situation, the window looks into another (unconditioned room). The tile guy used the Schluter system. The window is in the center of the double stud wall. Inside the shower is tiled, sloped into the shower. No leaks. I'm highly confident that it will never leak. I would not use an openable window, though.

4. Reid Baldwin | | #4

How about if you put a picture of a pretty outdoor scene on the shower side of the wall, put a naked picture of your wife on the other side of the wall, and then pretend there is a window there.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |