GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

New home windows

EdSe | Posted in General Questions on

See sketch. Was told indivedual units are design pressure 50 when combined DP 25. Why and what can I do.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. STEPHEN SHEEHY | | #1

Your sketch is hard to read. I assume you are concerned that the group of windows may not be stiff enough. We encountered the same concern in my new house. We had six windows grouped together into an 11'x11' unit. Even putting LVLs between the individual windows didn't feel stiff enough. We used steel angle iron vertically and it made a tremendous difference. It was bolted to the LVLs. We just buried the steel in the trim.
    You could of course consult an engineer.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Edward,
    I agree with Stephen. If your sketch were easier to read, and if your question were easier to understand, we'd be more likely to provide advice. But if Stephen has correctly guessed what you're asking about, you should consult an engineer.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |