GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Sub slab insulation and radon

schreibdave15 | Posted in General Questions on

Hi

I am building a new home in Syracuse NY. The home will potentially will require a radon remediation system. I was also contemplating doing rigid foam insulation underneath the basement slab – there will be living space in the basement.

What, if any impact on radon seepage into the home would subslab insulation have? Might it help prevent that seepage? Or could it make it more difficult to remediate if i do have a problem? Thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

David,
    Q. "What, if any impact on radon seepage into the home would subslab insulation have?"

A. None, I think. But you should certainly plan ahead by installing the required perforated pipe under your slab, along with a deep layer of crushed stone. Here is a link to a relevant article: All About Radon.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |