GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How to cover exterior insulation?

tinytank | Posted in General Questions on

I’m having a hard time figuring out how to cover the exterior foam insulation on my house. There are only a few spots showing but they show some damage already from falling branches/rain/snow. Quikrete and Tuffcoat aren’t available where I live so I was thinking of using surface bonding cement?? Is this the correct option? And do I need to add something to strengthen it?
Thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jenna,
    I'm assuming that you are talking about the rigid foam installed on the exterior side of your foundation wall. Did I guess correctly?

For a full list of all the different materials that can be used to protect the above-grade portion of this type of insulation, see How to Insulate a Basement Wall. Here is the list of materials from that article:

A cementitious coating or cementitious stucco (for example, Styro Industries Brush On ST), with or without metal lath
    A cementitious coating that includes chopped fiberglass (for example, Quikrete #1219 foam coating or surface-bonding cement)
    An acrylic coating like Styro Industries FlexCoat or Styro Industries Tuff II
    EIFS (synthetic stucco)
    Cement backerboard, with or without a layer of stucco
    Pressure-treated plywood
    Metal flashing
    A fiberglass panel like Ground Breaker from Nudo Products
    Styro Industries FP Ultra Lite panels (XPS coated with mineral granules adhered to one side)
    Protecto Wrap Protecto Bond (a flexible peel-and-stick membrane with a textured, gritty coating)
    ProGuard Cement Faced Insulated Sheathing.

For repairs to stucco, you can use almost any stucco mix or mortar mix, especially if you aren't fussy about color matching.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |