GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Cathedral ceiling insulation

John_Hunt | Posted in General Questions on

A quick clarification needed to settle my mind, I am hoping I solved my condensation problem. I am redoing my leaking cathedral ceiling which had R30 Roxul, no vents and tongue and groove pine. I am in northern VT and as you can imagine I was getting condensation on the underside of my roof deck.

I removed my tongue and groove (easier than expected), pulled the insulation down flush to the rafters and vented behind my Roxul (2×12’s so I had room). I then added 2″ of felt faced Polyiso flush across my rafters, taped and foamed for a tight air seal. Next put up new strapping and reinstalled the tongue and groove. Soffit and ridge vent installed.

Should I be all set with this fix?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

John,
    Q. "Should I be all set with this fix?"

A. Well, since you are asking after the fact... you had better hope so.

You now have a ceiling that is much better than the one you had before. It still doesn't meet minimum code requirements for R-value, but at about R-42 or R-43, it's closer to code minimum (R-49) than you were before.

I hope you used a quality tape. Depending on the texture of the felt facing on the polyiso, the polyiso seams might be hard to tape. If you used a good tape like Siga Wigluv or Zip Sheathing tape, you'll probably be OK with your air barrier. (Next time you do it, use foil-faced polyiso -- foil facing is the easiest type of facing to tape.)

2. John_Hunt | | #2

Thank you, Martin

I have half of my ceiling done and had a second guessing moment, that's the reason for the late question.

I am confident in my air seal, I am using Dow Weathermate tape and it has stuck very well. Is there any reason to believe this tape wont hold up long term?

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

John,
    Dow Weathermate was a disappointing performer in my backyard tape test.

That said, I have not tested Dow Weathermate on felt-faced polyiso.

For more information on tape testing, see:

Backyard Tape Test

Return to the Backyard Tape Test

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |