GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What are the best basement windows?

user-6474580 | Posted in General Questions on

We have three standard size basement windows to replace. I was looking at the hopper windows. Any other recommendations? Thx in advance!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Masb H,
    Everyone has opinions. A lot of people just install vinyl-framed hopper windows.

If this is finished space, it's usually best to have at least one egress window. (This usually requires a special type of window well with stout retaining walls.)

If this is an ordinary unfinished basement, my own preference is to fill the old window openings with bricks, concrete blocks, or poured concrete. Unfinished basements don't need windows.

2. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #2

Some local codes demand some minimum amount of operable window area even in unfinished basements, the rationale being minimal daylighting for safety when the power is out, and for drying/venting after chemical or paint spills, floods/plumbing leaks etc.

Those codes can sometimes be negotiated with the inspectors. I know of one project where they got a variance to allow insulated glass block instead of operable windows, which preserves daylighting with better air tightness than an operable window. But from U-factor point of view it was still pretty crummy- factoring in the thermally bridging mortar glass block typically comes in around U0.50. A non-operable low-E sealed glass window would have had higher performance, but would have been (a lot) more expensive.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |