GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Rodent-proof soffit vents

_matt_p | Posted in General Questions on

Hi,
what is the best way to create a rodent proof soffit vent air intake? I am looking for really durable products. My concern is that rats and squirrels could eventually gnaw through even hardware cloth. Any stainless steal products that people can recommend? Thank you very much.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Matthias,
    If you are worried about rodents, I think that installing hardware cloth between your perforated soffit and the soffit framing is the way to go. I have never heard of rodents chewing through hardware cloth. I used hardware cloth for years to keep weasels out of my chicken coop. Before hardware cloth, I had a weasel event. After hardware cloth, no weasels.

(I expect, however, that GBA readers will soon be posting photos of rodent-gnawed hardware cloth.)

Perhaps there are different gauges of hardware cloth -- I know that it comes with different-sized openings, so hardware cloth may also come in different gauges. Get the heavy stuff.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |