GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Rainscreen with gapped panels

GJPehl | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

Hello Again GBA’ers

We have a design for a ventilated rain screen ventilated with mixed cladding materials. This will be exterior to 6″ of foam board insulation. One of the materials is Equitone, and the manufacturer recommendation calls for 3/8″ gap between panels, they supply a butyl tape to face the furring strips, both to provide a dark color on the reveal and to provide a moisture barrier on the face of the wood furring strip. The panels are very long, and there will be long horizontal gaps.

Two questions:

1) This arrangement leaves only the edges of the wood furring exposed for drying, is that sufficient?

2) So the gaps will be exposed to moisture (rain and snow), and so I would assume that some of that moisture will wick down into the crack, possibly dripping down onto the lower furring strip. Should I be concerned about liquid moisture in the rain screen gap?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or guidance!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Gerald,
    As long as the rainscreen gap is well ventilated -- with air inlets at the bottom, and air outlets at the top -- I wouldn't worry about the rain entry. This will work.

Aesthetically, however, I am not a fan of gapped siding with visible cracks. But there is no arguing aesthetics.

-- Martin Holladay

2. GJPehl | | #2

Thanks so much Martin- you and your crew are an absolute treasure. It's a particular treat to have an answer be uncomplicated :-)

The rain screen gap is 3/4 with inlet on the bottom and outlet at the top.

We like modern design influences, so that's where the gapped panel comes in- here's a link for a somewhat similar application:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/43645317/Edgewood-contemporary-exterior-vancouver

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |