GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Use foam board underneath fountain footer?

ps24eva | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I am installing this fountain in PA:

http://campaniainternational.com/uploads/assembly/FT-240%20Three%20Tier%20Longvue%20FOuntain.pdf

I don’t want to dig 36 inches to the frostline.

Can I dig 2 feet, put tamped 3/4 clean stone, place XPS foamboard and then pour concrete?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

John,
    Can you? Yes, but I don't advise it.

Once you've dug a 24 inch hole, it's only another 12 inches to turn it into a 36 inch hole. Dig down 3 feet. You won't regret it.

If you hit a very big rock -- what we often call "ledge rock" in Vermont -- you can modify the target depth of 36 inches (you can turn the target into "as deep as I can go") and then use rigid foam.

The problem with the rigid foam idea is that frost moves sideways as well as down. With a wide enough piece of rigid foam that is thick enough, you'd probably be OK with your 24-inch plan. But why risk it?

2. ps24eva | | #2

What about foam board on the sides?

5 sides of foam board including the bottom.

3. ps24eva | | #3

Even if you go to 36 inches

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |