GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

All my fascia (LP Smart Trim) was stapled today

PatriciaCranberry | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

Suggestions? I’m so disappointed. Not sure if there is a reasonable fix or if it all should come down and start over. Climate zone 3. Central oklahoma. Water/wind resistance gone?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. PatriciaCranberry | | #1

Meeting builder tomorrow am. They will tell me its gonna be fine. But will it?

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Inger,
    This seems like an open-and-shut case to me. LP installation instructions require the following:

"FASTENERS: Minimum 8d (0.113 inch diameter shank), hot-dipped galvanized or stainless steel nail with a 0.270 inch diameter head."

Staples are not permitted.

According to most building codes, materials must be installed according to manufacturers' instructions, so this is a code violation.

The installer must remove the fascia boards and install them according to the manufacturer's instructions.

3. user-2310254 | | #3

When I reviewed the installation manual, it seemed to me that the installer could re-nail the trim. They might need to caulk the staple heads as well. Of course, I would confirm this "fix" with LP before letting the contractor off the hook.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Steve,
    Good point. Removing the fascia is probably unnecessary.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |