GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Taping plywood sheathing

climb_on | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

We are in Minnesota (Zone 6a). 2200 sq/ft single level, slab on grade.

It just occurred to me that my plan to tape the seams of the plywood sheathing maybe lost since I failed to create a seal between the sheathing and the top and bottom plates. Should I have glued or caulked them?

My wall detail is attached.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. climb_on | | #1

My sheathing is installed. I have not taped the plywood yet. Should I tape across the seam between the foam and the sheathing....should I foam seal the gap between the insulation and the plywood/bottom plate first?

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Scott,
    I'm not sure what you mean by "lost." If you intend your plywood sheathing to be your primary air barrier, then it would have been a good idea to make sure that you prevented air leaks between the plywood sheathing and the bottom plate (as well as, of course, the bottom plate and the concrete slab).

If you forgot to seal these areas, that's too bad. There might be some air leakage. But it's not the end of the world.

If you can seal the gap between the sheathing and the rigid foam, or between the rigid foam and the bottom plate, with tape or spray foam, go ahead.

Air sealing work is common sense. Making one mistake does not mean that everything is "lost." But strive to do your best.

3. climb_on | | #3

Perfect thank you. By "lost" I just meant my plan may have been lost when I forgot to seal the bottom plate. I will proceed with the sealing the gap between the plywood and the foam, then the plywood seams.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |