GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Installing a one piece shower

MichaelBa | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

Hello,

My cousin and I are installing a one piece shower this weekend, in his guest house he is building on his property. Property is located in zone 3.

I told him I would do a little bit of research beforehand.

He is using an interior vapor retarder called intello plus. I am wondering if it is ok to install the shower directly over this or if there is any reason drywall should go up first?

Also, the manufacturer requires no cements bed under the shower. Would it be wise to lay a vapor barrier cutout underneath the shower or can we just install directly over the plywood subfloor?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #1

Michaelba,
    The intello is fine on it's own as long as you air-seal the edges. If you drywall behind you would have to drywall the whole wall, then add a second layer on top to cover the shower flanges.

No need to any vapour barrier under the shower.

2. MichaelBa | | #2

Cheers, Malcolm.

3. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #3

Michealba,
    You can add a bit of additional solidity similar to that offered by a cement bed by spray-foaming under the tub. Do it in small lifts though or it can push the whole unit up.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |