GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Twin Fresh combo in a hall?

user-228058 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I have been contemplating the ventilation for my project . For the second floor area I have 2 bedrooms and a bath with a hall on the side(story and a half structure, timber frame, so this needs to have separate venting than the rest of the home)
In this hall will be the ductless head for the heating and cooling of the second floor. I am wondering if I could put the Hrv in this hall and not the bedrooms? How important is it to have the ventilation in the bedrooms? The next step up would be a lunos e2 in each bedroom , however that jumps in price quite a bit…
Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #1

Scott,

Where are you? Some codes require the fresh air intakes to be in the bedrooms.

2. user-228058 | | #2

I am in zone 5, Connecticut

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Scott,
    You didn't tell us what type of ventilation system you will be using for the first floor of your two-story house. You mention "the HRV," but it's unclear whether you are talking about (a) a hypothetical HRV that will serve just the second floor, or (b) an HRV that you have already purchased to serve the needs of the first floor. Nor did you tell us the cfm rating of this HRV, or the ASHRAE 62.2 requirements for total ventilation airflow for your entire house.

You need a ventilation plan for your entire house. If you will be installing an HRV, the most sensible approach is to size the HRV to meet the needs of the entire house, and to plan your ventilation ductwork accordingly. Most HRV systems provide fresh air to bedrooms.

4. user-228058 | | #4

Martin,
    Thank you for the response. The building is a timber frame with the second floor bedrooms unable to be served by ductwork coming from the rest of the home( due to the design) that leaves having a second ducted unit, lunos fans, exhaust only or the twin fresh comfo unit.
    I have yet to settle on a ventilation plan for the main area either.

5. user-228058 | | #5

Hopefully my post did not sound condescending or like I was a know it all. Just thinking /writing out loud.

6. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #6

Scott,

I'd imagine that if you don't provide ventilation directly to the bedrooms, you will find you either have to crack a window, or sleep with the door open to get adequate fresh air.

One way of looking at it is: what do you do now? If you don't mind continuing doing what you have been doing, then you might not need the bedroom ducts. I guess that's not a very scientific way of approaching your ventilation system though.

7. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #7

Scott,
    I think that installing a pair of Lunos fans (one in each bedroom) is the best solution. The second best solution -- less effective but much cheaper -- is to use the bathroom exhaust fan for your exhaust-only ventilation system. Your choice.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |