GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How to put in basement windows with exterior insulation?

user-6830721 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

Hi. I am in a bit of a rush with this. They are putting our foundation in soon and although I explained to all the contractors that we would be applying 4″ of exterior insulation, they are just now deciding that they do not know how to do the windows! So, what is the best way to do this….let the concrete company set the windows in the concrete and frame them out to the edge of the insulation later or have them leave us a rough opening and use a window buck? Also, with whichever way we do it, how do we make it weather/water tight? Thank you in advance!!

Wenona in Massachusetts

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Wenona,
    The best way to do it is with a window buck. If you plan to install pressure-treated 2x lumber as your window buck, the rough opening in the concrete needs to be at least 3 inches bigger (in both dimensions) than the rough opening would be without the buck.

If your contractor doesn't know how to install windows in a weathertight and airtight manner, it's time to find a new contractor.

2. user-6830721 | | #2

By the way....we will be using Roxul Comfortboard insulation.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Wenona,
    Two questions:

1. Do you have a plan for how you will protect the above-grade portion of the foundation insulation from physical abuse?

2. Does your project have an architect?

4. user-6830721 | | #4

I think the contractor is thrown entirely by the exterior insulation. He doesn't know how to handle the whole situation. Usually the concrete guys would set the window directly into the concrete. Once we throw the insulation in, they all don't know what to do.

5. user-6830721 | | #5

I had an architect draw up plans and told him what I planned to do and he did not address the question I have at all. He knows nothing about exterior basement insulation and was of pretty much no help!

6. user-6830721 | | #6

I plan on spraying the Roxul with a protective coating. Martin, can you point me to an illustration on how to install the window bucks. Also, what kind of window do we need to get? I am also doing an egress window and am having trouble sourcing that. Can regular Windows be set into the bucks?

7. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #7

Wenona,
    Can you tell us the brand name of the spray-on product you will use to protect the Roxul?

The window bucks should cantilever beyond the concrete, so that the exterior of the buck is co-planar with the exterior surface of the Roxul. You'll need to install sill pan flashing in the window buck, so that water drains beyond the insulation layer.

Here are some links to GBA articles that discuss window bucks:

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/articles/dept/musings/installing-windows-foam-sheathed-wall

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/guest-blogs/flatrock-passive-framing-and-air-sealing

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/energy-efficiency-and-durability/103348/mounting-windows-concrete-block

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/innie-windows-or-outie-windows

8. user-6830721 | | #8

I plan on using one of the Styro products. I don't have the exact name of the product in front if me but I don't think it is the one that was listed in the article about covering exterior insulation but one of thier other products that can supposedly be sprayed. I thought that it would work better to do a spray application on the Roxul. I plan on doing a test sample before applying to the building but I haven't gotten that far.....just got the Roxul in. Thank you for the links, I will check them out. So, you think it is better to do the whole buck in 2x lumber? I have seen pics where a 2x is set into the concrete and then a buck is made from thinner material and set into the opening.

9. user-6830721 | | #9

Oh..again, can we use regular windows or are there special windows for this application?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |