GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Options for reducing ladybug infestation?

richmass62 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

Is there a good “green” way to get rid of ladybugs?

We have hundreds in the walls in our house. Unfortunately it is not possible to completely seal this old house, so we have them crawling into the attic, into the bathroom, and now they are crawling all over the closed cell foam. I wonder if they eat sawdust, or maybe the operation of power tools in the attic creates vibrations that make them come out of their crevices.

This is not a benign infestation because flies seem to be feeding on the dead ladybugs. It is wierd to have flies in the house in January but in the warm conditioned attic we have them.

Certainly we need to vacuum out as many live bugs as possible. It would be impossible to remove all of them manually.

So what is our option? Options we might consider include:

Anyone have experience with this?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. richmass62 | | #1

These are the options I wanted to list above (spam filter wouldn't let me add links):

a) Deltamethrin 4.75% soution (can be mixed with water and sprayed in corners or foundation areas)
    like this: domyown DOT com suspend-sc-p-40.html

b) electronic bug repellent products. Though I don't know if that idea works when it is below freezing out, might have to wait for a very warm day to turn it on. [search for "Neatmaster Ultrasonic Pest Repellent" on Amazon

2. STEPHEN SHEEHY | | #2

If it's any consolation, they are carnivorous. They eat aphids and similar bugs.

3. user-2310254 | | #3

It is likely you have Asian Ladybugs. They are relentless when looking for a comfortable overwintering spot. I have it fairly tight, but some number still manage to get inside each year. I usually use my central vacuum a couple of time a month to eliminate any that are out in the open. In your case, vacuuming now and sealing opening after the warm weather returns will help to cut down on the seasonal invasion.

4. richmass62 | | #4

I went with a Deltamethrin spray, which seems to have reduced them but not killed them. No way to seal the house without adding a layer of sheathing or insulation panels but it is a very low concentration spray that seems to work...

5. richmass62 | | #5

Following up, the Delamethrim seems to have worked very well. Not much insectide was used and I reapplied during the summer to make sure they would not reenter in the fall. I will let you know if this changes.

1. vap0rtranz | | #7

I have Lady Bugs in our Old House during winter as well, and smile everytime I see one.

Gardeners would pay to have these ladybugs shipped to them.

Like Stephen Sheeny said, Lady Bugs are excellent at controlling aphids, and anyone who has gardened knows how quickly aphids will devistate everything in their way. So Lady Bugs are welcome here, inside and outside.

Delamethrim is like most incenticides: it's a broad neurotoxin. I would never apply this in my own home.

Justin

1. richmass62 | | #8

these are asian lady beetles... dont worry I didn't kill all of them!

6. Yupster | | #6

Thanks for following up with an update, interesting to hear!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |