GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

I’m concerned about rigid exterior insulation being a vapor barrier

user-611330 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

Hello, sorry to add yet another question about exterior rigid insulation, but I can’t find information on this elsewhere. I am working on designing a Habitat for Humanity home in a mixed-humid climate. Dow will give us insulation free, and I want to wrap the home in 1″ over the sheathing and building felt, and under cement-board cladding. I am concerned about it being a vapor barrier, however. I can not find perm information for Dow Stryofoam. Any thoughts?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

David,
    You can find the information you seek here:
    http://www.dow.com/webapps/lit/litorder.asp?filepath=styrofoam/pdfs/noreg/178-00568.pdf&amp%3Bpdf=true

Dow Styrofoam (1 inch thickness) has a permeance of 1.5 perm.

As you may know, wall systems can be designed to perform well, even with a low-perm exterior foam sheathing. The performance of the wall assembly depends on the climate and on all of its components -- that is, whether or not there is an interior vapor retarder, the thickness of the studs, and the type of insulation between the studs.

2. Riversong | | #2

The product that Martin linked to is Dow CladMate, a lower-density XPS foam board. Standard Dow Styrofoam (25 psi) has a perm of 1.1 @ 1". This makes it relatively vapor impermeable.

But, if you're building in a humid, AC-dominated climate, then an exterior VB might be appropriate as long as the wall assembly can dry to the interior (i.e. no interior vapor barrier).

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |