GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Can I add 2″ rigid insulation at exterior of the building and keep existing windows?

modea92 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I am working on the renovation of an existing commercial building. We would like to add 2″ of rigid insulation and a drainage plane to the building, but we plan on keeping some of the existing awning windows that are in good condition. Can I furr out around the existing windows? Or do I need to relocate the existing windows to the new exterior plane of the wall? I am concerned about the weak point for water infiltration at the window sills. I am using xps foam, blocking as required, and p.t. strapping. We are installing new fiber cement siding and new trim around the windows. Thanks for your help.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Maura,
    It is not necessary to move or replace the windows, although most building owners investing in a major exterior retrofit involving new rigid foam and siding will probably decide that an investment in new, energy-efficient windows is worthwhile.

The trick is to get the flashing details right. The new exterior sills must, of course, be durable and waterproof; 20-ounce copper flashing would be a good choice for sills. The exterior jamb extensions and new exterior head trim could be made from cellular PVC or a similar durable material. The important details involve transitions between dissimilar materials, especially the seam between the old window sill and the new window sill. Your installer should make liberal use of peel and stick flashing, and use redundant flashing methods. Think like a drop of water, and assume that a single layer will eventually leak.

Good luck.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |