Best way to attach foam board to concrete foundation?

I've recently begun building energy effecient homes and would like input about how others are attaching rigid foam board to concrete stem walls. I'm using a pier on grade beam foundation which requires 8"-10" of concrete to be covered. I've used all different types of adhesives and haven't found any that stick right away. We usually have to lean a 2x4 against it or shovel some dirt against it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are using Owens Corning 1" foamular 150.

Asked by James Fincher
Posted Jul 16, 2009 2:05 PM ET

1.

James,
It sounds like you've got the right approach. Use a construction adhesive approved for rigid foam, and apply temporary pressure for several hours until the adhesive grabs.

Of course, you can always use mechanical fasteners, but that's probably more hassle than applying temporary pressure.

Posted Jul 16, 2009 2:50 PM ET

2.

I have found a hilti powder activated fastener gun with nails designed for attaching foam to be extremely easy to use, but they are very expensive to buy.

Answered by will goodwin
Posted Sep 2, 2009 6:55 PM ET

3.

Will-

What model Hilti do you use?

Answered by Robert Post S.E. Pennsylvania Zone 4a
Posted Nov 23, 2011 10:08 PM ET

4.

Some folks with attach furring strips through the foam and into the concrete as well to apply the clamping load prior to the adhesive drying. Depending on how much foam you put down, you can fasten your drywall to the furring strips.

Answered by Eric Novotny
Posted Nov 24, 2011 5:59 PM ET