Helpful? 0

Best way to attach foam board to concrete foundation?

I've recently begun building energy effecient homes and would like input about how others are attaching rigid foam board to concrete stem walls. I'm using a pier on grade beam foundation which requires 8"-10" of concrete to be covered. I've used all different types of adhesives and haven't found any that stick right away. We usually have to lean a 2x4 against it or shovel some dirt against it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are using Owens Corning 1" foamular 150.

Asked by James Fincher
Posted Thu, 07/16/2009 - 14:05

Tags:

4 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

James,
It sounds like you've got the right approach. Use a construction adhesive approved for rigid foam, and apply temporary pressure for several hours until the adhesive grabs.

Of course, you can always use mechanical fasteners, but that's probably more hassle than applying temporary pressure.

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Thu, 07/16/2009 - 14:50

Helpful? 0

I have found a hilti powder activated fastener gun with nails designed for attaching foam to be extremely easy to use, but they are very expensive to buy.

Answered by will goodwin
Posted Wed, 09/02/2009 - 18:55

Helpful? 0

Will-

What model Hilti do you use?

Answered by Robert Post S.E. Pennsylvania Zone 4a
Posted Wed, 11/23/2011 - 22:08

Helpful? 0

Some folks with attach furring strips through the foam and into the concrete as well to apply the clamping load prior to the adhesive drying. Depending on how much foam you put down, you can fasten your drywall to the furring strips.

Answered by Eric Novotny
Posted Thu, 11/24/2011 - 17:59

Other Questions in Green building techniques

Roof insulation

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Steven Clark | Oct 24, 14

Add R-14 Roxul between the garage attic and the house?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Mike Lucas | Oct 23, 14

Minisplit - One indoor unit for two adjacent rooms?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Steve Robertson | Oct 23, 14

How do deviations in average winter temperature affect energy consumption?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by norm farwell | Oct 24, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!