GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

O.V.E. framing: use of single top plate and Hardie siding

K5ge84KwqY | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

In 2X6 walls at 24″-on-center construction, with OSB sheathing, I’ve been advised of wavy wall syndrome. Is it avoidable? What techniques are recommended?

Also, if i use single top plates with temporary wall bracing until ceiling and roof are in place, are there any inherent problems besides sheetrock installation?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Riversong | | #1

Plywood sheathing is more dimensionally stable than OSB (and more durable and breatheable).

Single top plates don't allow tying of walls at corners or at partitions. It makes an inherently weaker structure.

OVE framing was developed in the 80's when slightly less thermal bridging was enough to improve the thermal boundary of a house. With today's much higher insulation (and structural) standards, it makes more sense to eliminate thermal bridging with cross-hatching, double walls, truss walls, or interior or exterior foam board.

But stacked 24" oc framing makes sense and I've never had wavy wall syndrome, either inside or out (unless a heavily crowned stud was installed).

2. K5ge84KwqY | | #2

just a bump to the top

3. homedesign | | #3

I am Not-So-Comfortable with Fiber Cement w/ framing at 24" OC

The first photo.. not my project ....but I know it was 24" OC

I took the 2nd photo also .. but do not know the "story"

Another comment about the first photo
    This was a Building America Project...Near Dallas
    The sheathing was foam sheathing and the cavity insulation was open cell foam
    the foam sheathing may have contributed to the wavey look

4. Riversong | | #4

I think fiber-cement siding is about as worthless as OSB. It's highly hygroscopic and dimensionally unstable.

5. homedesign | | #5

Fiber Cement Siding is now mandated in many areas ...
    Including new construction in the historic neighborhood where I live.
    My install is over structural sheathing and the framing is 16" OC
    My siding does not look "wavey"

6. Riversong | | #6

John,

On what basis can a jurisdiction mandate a particular type of siding? Is it for fire resistance? Maybe we should go back to cement-asbestos siding?

7. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #7

Robert,
    To the best of my knowledge, Nantucket mandates the use of cedar shingle siding.

8. homedesign | | #8

Robert,
    I do not agree with the Fiber Cement requirement.

Minimum masonry requirements(for cladding) have been common in North Texas for years.
    Some are required by the City ... and or as part of the Deed Restrictions.
    The percentages vary from 50% masonry minimum to 100% masonry.

Recently some of the Cities have added the Fiber Cement Requirement for the non-masonry percentage.

I live in a Heritage District and they adopted a 100% fiber cement siding requirement for all new construction.

The "intention" is to reduce maintenance and increase durabilty.

Even the HBA program "Green Built Texas" was not allowing "wood" as a siding choice.

I do not agree ... I am just reporting.

9. Riversong | | #9

Nantucket mandates the use of cedar shingle siding.

I could find no reference to this mandate on-line. The closest I came is from This Old House:
    "Eastern white cedar, the preferred siding on Nantucket."

As well it should be. Nothing stands up as well to salt air. And Nantucket's economy is almost entirely dependent on tourism, so they have a legitimate reason for maintaining the aesthetic integrity of the island.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |