GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Adding 4″ of insulation to outside walls

V9Uo567S5V | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

My contractor wants to apply framing to the outer walls, then the 3 ” of board insulation into the framing, then the last 1″ layer placed on top of the new wall assembly. I think that the 4″ insulation can be applied to the wall using only strapping glue and 6 or 7″ heavy duty Head Lok screws. by Fastenmaster.

Is this a good method to do this or should I look into other methods?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-939142 | | #2

you should find several diagrams on this site on a common method

fasten foam sheets, generally screws with big washers / possibly some glue. tape edges
    then apply furring strips/battens in line with the studs on top of the foam using HeadLok type screws
    then siding choice on furring strips
    there are specific details for corners, windows, doors, etc you can find on this site

if you run framing on the outside of the walls, you'll be creating a thermal bridge which dramatically minimize the Rvalue gains you could achieve as all that lumber is R1-ish per inch

2. V9Uo567S5V | | #3

Thank you for all the information and the very quick replies!

3. Foamer | | #4

There is an even better way developed by John Straube at Building Science Corp. First install exterior studs on top of, but spaced away from, the interior frame. One good way to do this is to use pieces of PVC pipe as spacers with long screws running through them. When the framework is in place, apply as much closed cell spray foam as you need to achieve your r-value. The assembly should be deep enough to allow a ventilation space behind your siding. The spray foam will give you a continuous air barrier much more effectively than the many pieces of individual foam board.

You can find information at buildingscience.com, for example Insight #48 "Exterior Spray Foam". There is also an article in the latest issue of Journal of Light Construction on the topic.

4. jbmoyer | | #5

Spoken like a true spray foam contractor.

Torsten,

The answer to all green building questions is NOT spray foam- which you so obviously believe.

5. V9Uo567S5V | | #6

Sprayfoam may be an answer but here it is prohibitively expensive.About 100 feet o basement sill is about $3000CDN

6. wjrobinson | | #7

Martin, I had 300' of sill joists sprayed for $500. Open cell Icynene. The best attribute of spray foam is how well it air stops an assembly. The worst is of course it being far from green compared to cellulose.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |