GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Zone 6 Insulating on the outside

rwvGSss9yi | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

How does one finish the bottom edge of the exterior rigid insulation to prevent water seeping up? Is there a place to download typical wall sections of insulation applied on the outside including the drip edge, insect screen, insulation extending below grade, etc?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Annie,
    The GBA site has details for members. Here's what you are looking for:
    https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/cad/detail/wall-section-cement-board-lap-siding-1-12-rigid-insulation

Concerning your questions:

1. If the bottom of the foam is above grade, the bottom of the foam is protected by wood trim, and an insect screen protects the bottom of the rainscreen gap.

2. If you are using rigid foam on the exterior of your concrete foundation, and if the plane of your foundation insulation is continuous with the plane of the rigid foam on the outside of your above-grade walls, you still need Z-flashing to separate the foundation foam from the above-grade-wall foam.

2. rwvGSss9yi | | #2

The wall section does NOT show anyway to protect the bottom of the rigid insulation. I am concerned about snow and thus moisture.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Annie,
    Good point. It should. When I install rigid foam on the exterior of a building, I use a piece of wood trim of the same thickness as the rigid foam.

Another approach is the one used by Gary Bergeron: he protects the bottom of the foam with metal Z-flashing. You can see the flashing in this GBA video.

4. rwvGSss9yi | | #4

Thanks, Martin. How do you attach the wood trim as the insulation extends beyond the wood sill plate? metal z flashing works to. In that video it looks as if the sheathing stops on top of the sill plate so the insulation is right up against the foundation. ANOTHER question--is 1" insulation at the exterior as well as sheathing (my contractor prefers to add the sheathing) enough to insure no thermal bridging? I can get enough R with closed cell 2llb. between the studs.
    THanks.

5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5

Annie,
    The wood trim can be attached to the concrete foundation with Tapcons.

The minimum thickness of the foam depends on your climate. More information here: Calculating the Minimum Thickness of Rigid Foam Sheathing.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |