GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Why is sod laid grass side down?

XpeikMkQwG | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I’m writing a dissertation on the vernacular architecture of Uzbekistan, which includes this very green technique, called ‘chim.’.

Many thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Mike Eliason | | #1

i can't find anything on chim - i wonder if the great plains sod houses are closely related? in these 'soddies', sod was also laid grass down. perhaps to prevent it from growing any further - which would erode the wall faster, potentially? i think it also reduces drop of mud, but that might only be for roofs.

good luck w/ dissertation.

2. jklingel | | #2

Bark, often birch, was often used as a first layer for water proofing, the sod being what held it in place. Also, the first layer of sod was traditionally placed with the grass down, as the wilted grass would protect the bark from acid humus and act as a drain. Call me a genius, but that is from Wiki.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |