GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Cheap and easy CAD?

user-980774 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive and easy to use CAD program for house plans?
3D would be nice but not necessary. Easy to get started is main goal.

Thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user941025 | | #1

Seriously man, have you not tried googling this question?
    Because Google has produced Sketchup, which is free.

2. Mike Eliason | | #2

you need to define inexpensive... CAD programs run from a few hundred to several thousand dollars.

there are some open source/free CAD programs (e.g. CADEMIA: http://www.cademia.org/frontend/index.php?folder_id=258) - but the interface may not be desirable or very fast/functional.

it's possible to obtain short term leases of software (archicad has a plan for ~$500) - you get the fully functioning and relatively easy to use software for limited run of hours.

also, sketchup's a horrible drafting program.

3. atlarchitect | | #3

I agree that ArchiCAD ( http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/ ) is a great suggestion. You can lease the program in 300 hour blocks for around $500 (the full program is $4,250). This is what my architecture firm uses. As for easy, ArchiCAD is not a complicated program, but in my opinion how easy it is depends on how much you need to "unlearn" from other CAD program. As someone who used AutoCAD for 14 years, that was the challenge I faced. Now that I've done a couple of projects in ArchiCAD I really love it, since it's true BIM. Everything is linked, so once you've modeled the building in 3D doing things like elevations, sections, and door schedules take no time at all.

Another option is progeCAD ( http://www.progecad.us/index.pl?id=56985;isa=Category;op=show ). I've never used it, but it's 25% of the cost of "real" AutoCAD LT. Note that both progeCAD and AutoCAD LT are 2D only.

4. Mike Eliason | | #4

Tim,

Same boat, AutoCAD for 10 years with 2 breaks for Vectorworks and then Revit. I've recently made the switch to ArchiCAD (specifically, the hourly lease) - so I'm having to 'unlearn' the rest - but it's not too difficult.

5. Dovetail7442 | | #5

I second the Sketchup recommendation. Basic version is a free download, and it has very good functionality. We use the pro version, along with "layout" for creating drawings. We find Sketchup to be far more intuitive than any other program we've used, including Autocad & Vectorworks.
    Chris
    TimberGuides Design & Build

6. user-869687 | | #6

I use Revit, which is an elaborate BIM application and quite expensive. I actually miss drafting in AutoCad, mostly the user interface. Revit makes you hunt for little icons instead of typing commands for everything. In many cases, an icon lives on a flyout from some tab and you have to remember the sequence, because there's no direct keyboard shortcut as there would be with AutoCad. (This is not a first impression, it's after 6 years using Revit).

I would consider drafting in AutoCad LT and using Sketchup for 3D visualization. It depends on how large or complex the building is though. BIM has real benefits on larger and more complex projects. You can generate elevations and sections from the model, but if you don't want those to be ugly drawings, you have to work on them extensively. 2D Cad can be more work because drawings don't update themselves as features change, but 2D drafting is a linear process and (I would say) has aesthetic advantages.

7. wjrobinson | | #7

Chief Architect and Sketchup for me. Good comments above too.

I have to add another option that I still rely on very very often. Simple quick and easy. Pencil and graph paper. 1/4 scale on 11x17 graph paper that I copy on my copier. Once a basic exterior wall is established, I stop drawing and make copies. Then continue drawing various options, more copies as parts of the design are frozen and accepted. This process for me works very well for 2d submittable drawings.

For 3d, Sketchup at free is amazing. My clients really appreciate seeing their proposed project in 3d from all sides and even inserted into their existing property.

8. ANDREA LEMON | | #8

I love SketchUp but the free version is not so great for 2D drawings. If you want to use a super-easy floorplan tool try http://floorplanner.com.

SketchUp Pro ($495 USD) comes with a 2D tool called LayOut, and you can try out SketchUp Pro and LayOut for a combined total of 8 hours. The nice part is that you can install SketchUp Pro and the free version of SketchUp on your computer at the same time (at least on MacOS - don't know about Windows). This means that I can do almost all my work in the free version of SketchUp, and then when I need a feature that's only in SketchUp Pro (e.g. file exports) I open my file in SketchUp Pro, quickly do my export, and then quit right out.

To learn SketchUp, I highly recommend the video tutorials at http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/training/

9. user-980774 | | #9

Thanks for the recommendations. I did Google it and was looking for recommendations from other users. I had heard the free version of SketchUp was not good for 2d. Definition of cheap or inexpensive starts at free and goes up from there.

10. TjHhLpRXCC | | #10

I'm not sure if you've moved on from this yet, but a tool that we've used for laying out the floorplan for our new house is called "Sweet Home 3D" and is available as a free download (www.sweethome3d.com). I believe it was originally developed as a tool for modeling rooms, etc. but has all the capabilities needed to lay out entire floors. The 3D viewer allows either "flyover" or "walk thru" views.

11. PDaMuGz8Tb | | #11

post #7 AJ-Builder:"For 3d, Sketchup at free is amazing. My clients really appreciate seeing their proposed project in 3d from all sides and even inserted into their existing property."

AJ-Builder, could you please post an example of one of your Sketchup drawings?
    How do you like Sketchup for dimensioning your floorplans? can you post an example?

12. user941025 | | #12

We all need to thank the early pioneers of tv for the incredible idea of something for free if we are willing to be advertised to.

By the early pioneers of TV, you mean "radio," right?

13. wjrobinson | | #13

"Definition of cheap or inexpensive starts at free and goes up from there."

Richard, hoping you are referring to the purchasers? Sketchup via the business plan of Google is free because it is in their interest. It is however an incredibly powerful program that if sold by autodesk would cost hundreds if not thousands.

We all need to thank the early pioneers of tv for the incredible idea of something for free if we are willing to be advertised to.

Edit... Yes radio and who knows what before radio. Still, many thanks to the success of Google!!!! Without them smart phones would be dumber and cost 10 times more. Same with Sketchup and more.

14. wjrobinson | | #14

Posting drawings.... Pics... Others have on many threads. At this time I could email easier than posting. As to floorplans, see my post above. Sketchup for me is a 3d rotateable movie making show and tell visualization design and sales tool.

This thread has an example of how I too use Sketchup.

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/green-building-techniques/22095/thoughts-residential-hybrid-roof-design

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |