GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How to install siding and windows with rigid board insulation?

SquakMtn | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I have read through your articles and watched the videos on using polyiso for exterior sheathing and insulation. After spending quite a bit of time researching this issue, I would like to know your comments on the following.

I live in the Seattle area and have spoken to a company in Portland with a similar weather environment about the best way to accomplish the above. They recommended using polyiso 1 1/2″ over my existing 1/2″ CDX sheathing on the exterior (I am doing a remodel with new siding) by Hunter (no foil or material on it) followed by a housewrap for a water barrier.

They claim their research shows any dew point to fall withing the polyiso outside of the sheathing and recommend the housewrap to allow moisture to escape, but as a rainshield. My siding is 1/2″ T&G cedar, but it will be vertical oriented, so the furring strips will have to be horizontal. I would like to have space behind for air movement.

Your video shows placing plywood around the interior of the framing for the windows which helps with taping the edges for polyiso boards to seal that edge. The Andersen windows I am considering purchasing have a 1-3/8″ flange setback. It seems to me that I would need to fur around the window opening to allow for attaching the flange.

Also, since the T&G siding is vertical, the strips would need to be horizontal to place the siding. Any problems with that as water trapped behind would catch on the strips rather than free flowing down to the ground? Probably would need some drain slots.

Is this a viable plan or do you disagree with the application in this scenario? I apologize for such a lengthy inquiry, but several details are needed to install properly.

Thank you for you comments.
Sincerely,
Steve Dorsey

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Steve,
    It sounds like you are on the right track. When installing horizontal furring strips, some builders notch the back side of the furring strips with saw kerfs or dadoes, but I believe that step to be unnecessary.

It sounds like you have done your research, but here are links to a few articles, in case you missed them:

How to Install Rigid Foam Sheathing

Fastening Furring Strips to a Foam-Sheathed Wall

‘Innie’ Windows or ‘Outie’ Windows?

Nailing Window Flanges Through Foam

Where Does the Housewrap Go?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |