GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Exterior Rigid Insulation and Siding

user-1092370 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

Hi,
I recently completed a single family home in Va with 6″ stud walls (cellulose) and exterior rigid insulation. I wanted to have 2″ minimum exterior rigid, but the contractor pointed out that the literature on the specified siding (Hardi-Plank) only supported up to 1″ rigid insulation. They also did not seem to support a rainscreen detail of any type when rigid insulation was used.

On the phone, the tech support would say that 2″ rigid w/ rainscreen was compatible with Hardi-Plank, but the lack of literature in the installation instructions etc was troubling, especially as it related to maintaining any warranties.

Has anyone had any experience with 2″+ of exterior rigid insulation installed with exterior cement board or siding in a rainscreen configuration? Were you able to get literature from the siding manufacturer that indicated that type of installation was acceptable, and maintained warranty?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Grayson,
    Several people have raised this question on our Q&A pages recently. The short answer is, Yes -- you can install Hardie siding on furring strips screwed through 2 inches or more of rigid foam.

Here are some links:
    Can I really use 2" of rigid insulation under fiber cement siding?

Anyone back-vented Hardie lap siding over exterior insulation?

Should you use furring strips under Hardie siding?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |