GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Basement retrofit–is a waterproof membrane necessary between foundation and sill?

bencarsan | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

In “BSI-041 Rubble Foundations note” Dr. Joe describes a recipe for fixing old leaky basements. Among other things, he recommends jacking up the foundation and inserting a waterproof membrane between the sill and the foundation in order to break capillary moisture transport. Which makes sense to me. But in a different recent publication from BSC titled “RR-1107 Final Retrofit Pilot Community Evaluation Report,” only one of the six deep energy retrofits described has that feature. The other 5 projects leave out that step but follow roughly the same recipe: rigid spray foam on the wall down to the floor, perimeter drainage, a membrane across the floor etc. I also saw a comment elsewhere to the effect that someone heard Joe say in a recent lecture that he would skip that step. So is this overkill or good practice or it depends on local conditions or? On a typical project several thousand bucks are at stake.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Bennett,
    Your question is an excellent one. I think honest building scientists would answer, "We need more data on this question."

For the time being, this is a judgment call. Clearly, if there are signs of dampness in the basement, soils, or existing wall, prudence would dictate installing a waterproof membrane at the top of the foundation wall. If everything looks dry and the existing sill is in good shape, the savings may justify the risk of skipping this step.

2. Expert Member
    KOHTA UENO | | #2

BSC's current guidance on this topic is in this report, completed under the Department of Energy's Building America Program:

RR-1108: Hybrid Foundation Insulation Retrofits: Measure Guidelines
    http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/reports/rr-1108-hybrid-foundations-retrofits-measure-guideline/view

See Chapter 6 "Sill Beam/Rim Joist Durability Issues."

3. bencarsan | | #3

Great, many thanks to you both. It's not often that you get an 85 page answer to your question published on the day after you ask it! I am extremely grateful for BSC's work.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |