GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Rainscreen wall with insect screen

CramerSilkworth | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I’ve got a small project where a mid-90’s wood-frame wall in the mid-Hudson Valley of NY needs a rainscreen retrofit (paint’s peeling off in large pieces, fairly certain there’s a bit of moisture getting behind the cedar clapboard and then being cooked in the sun).

In looking around at the various methods of preventing insects from getting in the vent channels (e.g., Coravent), I’m wondering about a different method. Why not use a rolled-over strip of standard aluminum or fiberglass insect screen? Installed like so: with the sheathing & housewrap exposed, tack a “skirt” of ~1′ of screen at the drip edge, hanging down beyond drip edge. Install vertical furring, then gently roll screen up and tack again, without creasing, such that the bend will fill the vent opening when compressed by the drip edge piece (or first course of siding).

Similar process for the top openings.

Thoughts?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Cramer,
    Your technique is used all the time. It is the method indicated in many GBA details -- for instance, this one: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/cad/detail/wall-section-wood-lap-siding-1-12-rigid-insulation

There is a photo of your suggested technique on this Web page: http://www.100khouse.com/2010/05/14/the-vented-rain-screen-via-furring-master/

I'm attaching the photo below.

2. CramerSilkworth | | #2

Well shoot, I thought I had an original idea. :)

But anyway, good to know it's been done. Thanks!

3. mrbreadpuddin | | #3

I would not use fiberglass screen, my experience is that it does not hold up very well.

4. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #4

Until recently that was the method of choice here in BC, but now most lumberyards stock a perforated L flashing that is a bit more robust. The problem with the screen is that frequently weeds or grass manage to grow up through it and the screen gets damaged when they are pulled out.

5. CramerSilkworth | | #5

Good tips about the fiberglass and weed growth. The bottom is 2-3' off the ground, though there is a garden in front. Will keep an eye on it.

Thanks all,
    Cramer

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |