GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How to calculate R-value of attic insulation?

user-1021589 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

Hi there –

My wife and I are in the final stages of completing a super-insulated house near Ottawa, Canada. I have requested that the attic be insulated to R-80 with blown cellulose. While in the attic yesterday installing some cabling, I had a chance to measure the cellulose. It was installed about a month ago, it is very even, but is only 16″ in depth, more or less.

From what information I have cobbled together from the net, this corresponds to about R-60. Am I correct or I have I not accounted for something (such as settling)?

Thanks in advance.

John Scime

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

John,
    Once the cellulose insulation has settled -- a process that takes several weeks or months -- you can expect blown-in cellulose on an attic floor to have an R-value of R-3.6 or R-3.7 per inch. So, once it has settled, you want to have between 21 and 23 inches of cellulose.

Installers need to anticipate 13% settling, so your installer should provide between 24 1/2 inches and 25 inches of insulation before settling.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |