EVR Temp settings

I recently purchased a energy efficient home with many upgrades on that front. One of them is EVR. While i understand and felt like we have benefited from the EVR I am confused as to what temp I should have the lock outs set to. Currently the builder put them to 30 degrees and 95 degrees. That seems cold/hot to have that air being pushed into the house. Can anyone share some thoughts logic on those settings and if there are different settings please advise why? Thank you!

Asked By Tommy Barrett | Feb 14 16

Can I use rigid foam above roof sheathing and closed cell spray foam below?

I'm going to be re-roofing my house (when the weather gets a bit warmer), and feel this is a good time to upgrade the insulation. Here are the particulars of my house:

I live in climate zone 7.
Cathedral ceilings in most of the house.
True 2x8 rafters.
Low slope roof - modbit.

Asked By Edward McLean | Feb 14 16

I'm looking for an energy expert in the Richmond, Va, area

Hi Everyone,
I plan on building a super insulated, sealed crawl, air tight home in the Richmond Va area. I am looking for a local energy expert to help me design my mechanical sys. I would like to use a mini split heat pump with some type of mechanical ventilation. Does anybody here know of a Richmond area person or company that could help me with design and consultation?

Thank you,
Steve Stemper

Asked By Steve Stemper | Feb 14 16

Will an uncovered OSB roof be okay for the winter?

I'm building a house in Northern Michigan currently that I was unable to roof before the snow came down. That was in December, so it's been sitting for a month. There hasn't been that much snow melt here and temperatures have mostly been below freezing. The roof has ice below so I can't really scrape everything off to shingle it right now. Is there any danger of waiting until the major thaw and then scraping it all clean then? Do I risk wetting the OSB too much? Mold? Any other dangers? Also, how long should I let the wood dry before I attempt to roof it?

Thanks ahead of time.

Asked By Jeremy DuCheny | Feb 14 16

Looking for rigid foam without flame retardant...Help!

I have decided to completely insulate our basement (slab and walls) with rigid foam insulation (preferably XPS). Does anyone have any recommendations of any products without flame retardants? I am trying find products that are less toxic and have less off gassing of potentially harmful chemicals. Also, any spray foam products (for sealing the cracks and joints) that you recommend that are less toxic? Thank you!!!!

Asked By Carolyn Farrow | Feb 14 16

Sealing and insulating hatchway to vented attic

My attic is now insulated with 18" of cellulose. The builder left a hatchway from a closet in case we need to access the attic -- it will not be used for storage, just for access if something goes wrong. The builder suggested using a piece of plywood with a couple sheets of foam insulation on top to cover the hatchway.

Does that make sense? How can it be air sealed so that it is not a chimney sucking up warm air? Would weather stripping suffice?

Asked By David Martin | Feb 12 16

Rim Joist Insulation: No Wood Sill Plate - Influence on Rigid Foam

Good evening,

I have been reading posts on this forum for the last year and greatly appreciate the thoughts offered. I own a 75 year old stone/brick colonial in SE Pennsylvania (region 4a). The basement is unfinished and the sill boxes are not insulated. I would like to utilize rigid foam (foil faced PolyIso) with spray foam to insulate the sill boxes.

Asked By Scott Fillery | Feb 13 16

Where to find Energy Star floor plans?

I am looking to have a home built on my lot in the near future, and am interested in getting an energy star home. Do I need to specifically look for house plans that are designed to meet the energy star standard? Or can any house plan work? If I need to get special plans, where can I find these? I have not had much luck searching on google, and the few I have found do not specify which version of the standard they adhere to!

Asked By Billy Clontz | Feb 14 16

How to reduce radon level in my house?

When I first bought my house a couple of years ago the radon test was conducted in the first floor (bi-level house on concrete slab, all above grade) showed 3.5. A couple of years have now passed and I have since replaced all the windows and sealed all the gaps I could possibly find. Last week I did the same test again (using the same setup as my home inspector) and it was 12.1, ouch! Does it mean I made the first level too tight? What are my options to fix it?

Asked By Joe Blanco | Jan 22 16

Off-label use for open cell Iso foam?

GC is proposing to use Iso open cell foam as bulk fill in lieu of compacted gravel / sand fill over existing residential interior concrete slab on grade, to provide a base for a new interior concrete slab. Requirement is to bring a 15' X 19' X 12" deep "ashtray" up to level with surrounding floors and finish with tile to match adjacent. Application is strictly structural; insulation value is not a benefit. Existing recessed slab is 4" above base flood elevation including freeboard, existing plumbing drain pipes are below the existing slab.

Asked By Leslie Divoll | Feb 12 16