GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How long does it take to dig by hand a 1m deep, 20cm wide trench in clay

CalBungMelb | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

We need to replace the 80 year old clay sewer line that connects our house to the barrel sewer. The line is cracked, tree roots have got in, there’s a break. The plumber recommends poly as a replacement. I had a guy in with a camera and transponder who’s videoed the pipe interior and located it for me. As an aside, that is great technology.

The line is about 25m from the outlet on the house to the back of the garden. Access is difficult. The sewer line is 1m deep. I haven’t checked with the plumber but I guess the trench will need to be perhaps 20cm minimum width. It’s only 1m deep and in clay so it won’t need shoring.

We could get a small bobcat or similar in but as we have a lot of established trees we are worried about the potential collateral damage. The local hireplace has walk-behind trenchers that wil go down to 60cm. I thought I could perhaps hire this trencher to go down 60cm and do the rest by hand. Or do the lot by hand. Either approach would save money and fuel compared to a bobcat.

I don’t have experience with trenching to this depth using a shovel. How long might it take to dig a 25m trench 1m deep in clay? Is this realistic to do by hand?

Thanks

David

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

David,
    Get the Bobcat.

And get ready for a series of jokes that will be posted by GBA readers...

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |