GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Using Fiberglass Rebar

greenhomes | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

HI, I was wondering if anyone has knowledge on using fiberglass rebar in the walls of an ICF house? I am interested in this as it would lower the electrical and magnetic conductivity. I am sensitive to EMF’s . Here is one such product. http://www.fiberglassrebar.com/why_composites.htm

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Brent_Eubanks | | #1

I can't speak to the fiberglass rebar product, but I wanted to point out that if your goal is to minimize EMF in your home, then having metal in the walls is a GOOD thing. The EMF will tend follow the conductor, rather than passing through the interior space of the house - this is the principle behind a Faraday cage.
    Consider using steel rebar, and a metal roof!

2. greenhomes | | #2

That is very interesting. I will have to research Faraday cage. Do you have any recommendations on metal roofs? Thank you.

3. wjrobinson | | #3

Don't worry, your days are very numbered. Less than a week to go.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

AJ -- You made me chuckle!

5. greenhomes | | #5

Very funny, I am more concerned about EMF's I think I will start a new post that asks that question. Thank you

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |