Best way to fix insulation problem in cathedral ceiling? Please help!

I built my chalet about 8 yrs ago and was up in the attic and noticed black water stains (probably mold).
after many days and night researching what was wrong, i believe my issue is insulation and air leakage.
i have called all the insulation and roofing businesses (not many in this area) and each says its the others issue.

this site has been the most informative, but i cant seem to find any article or videos on how to add or change insulation in a cathedral ceiling after construction has been done.

Asked By Aaron H | Jan 31 16

Geothermal and SDHV in new ICF home

We are in the process of building a new home in Climate Zone 5. It is an ICF [insulated concrete form] construction from basement foundation to gable.

I am intending to use a SDHV [small duct, high velocity] system for forced air and heating in conjunction with a closed loop ground source heat pump.

What I am trying to understand is the impact to efficiency caused by my desire for SDHV on the heat pump options side of life.

Asked By Esteban Carlos | Feb 4 16

Easy Methods To Handle Back Pain

via - http://Marcumchiropractic-1968105.Hs-Sites.com/blog/marcum-chiropractic? - http://Marcumchiropractic-1968105.Hs-Sites.com/blog/marcum-chiropractic? . One of several most detrimental pieces about experiencing back pain is that it can often be hard to realize what exactly is causing it. This post can aid you to establish a number of the roots of your own soreness and it even provides guidelines on how to deal with and finally remove lower back pain.

Asked By Refugio Rolph | Feb 7 16

What coolant that can be applied to an existing metal roof? Cost a fortune to cool building.

Trying to cool my building. 15 yr old metal building for retail business.

Asked By amelia quinney | Feb 7 16

Plywood as exterior cladding

We are in the master planning phase of building a modern house in the PNW. We are in the Marine zone 4c. We would like a clean exterior that fades into the landscape and do not want a house that looks like it doesn't belong on the land. Considering this, I have a question.

Why isn't stained plywood used as exterior cladding? Will it work if we have good roof overhangs and a 1" ventilated rain screen? We are researching this as we would like an organic looking exterior that is clean. It seems like this practice is prevalent in Australia and NZ but not here in the US.

Asked By Jay Raja | Feb 6 16

Are back flow dampers needed for intake on ERV?

I am installing a couple of the panasonic spot ERV's. One of them will use two matching wall exhaust hoods with the the flapper removed on one for the intake. Should I install a back flow damper just inside of this? Or would this be pointless because any breeze blowing in the duct would be strong enough to open it?

On the second ERV I am installing one of Panasonic's "Y" combiners that combine both 4" ducts to one 5"duct and intake/exhaust hood. This is what it looks like.

Asked By Kail Zuschlag | Feb 5 16

Bathroom ceiling

I am going to be installing t&g pine (sealed all 4 sides and ends) on a bathroom ceiling. The ceiling is below an unvented roof and conditioned attic space (8" closed cell foam in rafter bays). Climate zone 8.

I want to know if I should install the t&g directly to the framing members or to put up drywall first. I already have an ignition barrier over the foam. Will drywall just be a surface for mold and mildew? I have a Panasonic whisper green vent fan and a window in this 72sq ft bathroom.

Thanks

Asked By Jon Patrick | Feb 6 16

Raised-heel trusses can be annoying

We installed raised-heel trusses with bottom chord overhangs on our house. The top of the top chord is 20" above our top plate. According to the 2012 International Residential Code for seismic zones or zones designated for winds of 100 mph, raised heel trusses more than 15.25" have to be blocked and braced.

Asked By Jimmy Nguyen | Feb 6 16

How to fix shoddy garage addition?

This past summer I bought a house in SE Michigan (Zone 5a) that was built in 1978; we had an energy audit done and the auditor alerted me to a host of issues included that when they built out into the garage to expand the kitchen & laundry room they left the top of the walls and ceiling open to the unheated garage.

My question is what is the best way to go about fixing this issue from a cost standpoint. I'm concerned if I just seal the top off the wall with XPS & Great Stuff that condensation will collect since there will be colder air inside the wall from the uninstalled garage.

Asked By Patrick B | Feb 6 16

Fireplace insert or glass doors + outside air intake?

I have a rather large fireplace that can clear the house of all heat, so I am never really using it. Would be nice to make it functional source of heat and have it as a backup for those times in winter we lose power or when minisplits can't cover entire heating load.

Question: do I have to go the expensive fireplace insert + outside air supply route, or going with the proper glass doors + outside air supply would give me good return on investment?

Asked By Apollo S | Feb 6 16