GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Wall detail for vertical siding

fe1afg | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I am building a 2-story cottage in NH. It is 2×6 framing on 24 inch centers. Covered with 1/2 sheathing grade plywood. Then covered with Tyvek (seams taped). I plan on covering this with 1 1/2 foam board, then using horizontal furring strips on 24 in centers fastened over the foam board into the wall studs.

I will then fasten 1×12 shiplap siding to the furring strips. This will also create an air space behind the siding to allow for moisture control. Any opinions on this detail would be much appreciated.

I have attached a copy of the detail that I downloaded from this site. I will be using the recommended detail to flash around all windows and doors. I think my main concern is the horizontal furring strips allowing for drainage past them. Thanks for your time.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-901114 | | #1

Not all that relevant, but I just did a similar wall in NH but with vertical furring and horizontal fake vinyl shake siding.. Used rough sawn reclaimed corners to make it look like a camp. A camp that I will never paint. Wish I had staggerd two layers of foam rather than just depending on 2in with taped seams... Don't know where you are in NH, but you might want to up your rvalue in foam to keep that sheathing warmer.

2. fe1afg | | #2

The building is off of exit 32 (Lincoln). About 10 mi. west of the exit. Yes, I have read about increasing the r value to 10 on the foam board to keep the wall from having condensation. Plus staggering the seams is a great idea. Thanks for the advice. What brand of vinyl shakes did you use? Are you satisfied with them?

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Raymond,
    Your question about horizontal furring strips has been discussed on GBA before. See these pages:

What’s the Best Approach for a Rainscreen?

Rainscreen behind cedar shingles

Rigid Insulation - Cedar Sidewall

Wood shingles nailed through 1-1/2" Styrofoam

I don't think it's necessary to notch the back side of your horizontal furring strips with saw kerfs. However, if you want the notches, you can buy notched battens at some roofing supply stores.

4. user-901114 | | #4

I went with foundry shingles only because they were cheap on craigslist. I like they way they look and they were easy to work with. My place is down in Sandwich. Trying to attach pic.. If you ever want to compare notes, let me know..

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |