Helpful? 0

Attaching wood furring strips to concrete block foundation for rigid foam

What methods do you folks use to attach 1x3 wood furring strips to concrete blocks? I have a hammer drill, but I'm looking for the fastest/best method. The furring strips are just going to holding up rigid foam board, so there won't be any real weight on the furring strips.

I'm also open to any other ideas on getting the foam board attached to the wall. I've thought of adhesive, but I'm concerned with it lasting over time.

Asked by Armando Domingos
Posted Tue, 02/12/2013 - 12:05

Tags:

5 Answers

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Helpful? 0

Armando,
Most people use Tapcon fasteners. These are available in various lengths up to 6 1/4 inches long.
http://www.concretescrews.com/tapcon-prices/large-diameter-tapcon.aspx

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Tue, 02/12/2013 - 12:23

Helpful? 0

Not sure Armando, but is sounds like you are planning on having the foam spaced out from the wall? The insulative sheathing needs to be right up against the wall with no airspace.

Answered by Brian Knight
Posted Tue, 02/12/2013 - 18:06

Helpful? 0

It's for the inside of a crawlspace... I'll make sure it's all tied in with the rim joist insulation. Without a furring strip I don't see an easy and viable way to attach the foam permanently to the wall. I'm open to any other ideas.

Answered by Armando Domingos
Posted Tue, 02/12/2013 - 18:23

Helpful? 0

Armando,
Did you see Marc Rosenbaum's blog about attaching foam to concrete walls with Hilti IDP polypropylene fasteners? Here is the link:
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/guest-blogs/basement-insu...

Answered by Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor
Posted Tue, 02/12/2013 - 18:34

Helpful? 0

Thanks, Martin. I see he attached the foam directly to the wall, which I am willing to do, but I'm also putting down a vapor barrier over the dirt crawlspace floor. What is your recommendation for attaching the vapor barrier behind the foam? Construction adhesive?

Answered by Armando Domingos
Posted Tue, 02/12/2013 - 18:39

Other Questions in Green building techniques

How do deviations in average winter temperature affect energy consumption?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by norm farwell | Oct 24, 14

Flat roof insulation

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Angela M | Nov 22, 13

Roof insulation

In GBA Pro help | Asked by Steven Clark | Oct 24, 14

Add R-14 Roxul between the garage attic and the house?

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Mike Lucas | Oct 23, 14
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!