Attaching wood furring strips to concrete block foundation for rigid foam

What methods do you folks use to attach 1x3 wood furring strips to concrete blocks? I have a hammer drill, but I'm looking for the fastest/best method. The furring strips are just going to holding up rigid foam board, so there won't be any real weight on the furring strips.

I'm also open to any other ideas on getting the foam board attached to the wall. I've thought of adhesive, but I'm concerned with it lasting over time.

Asked by Armando Domingos
Posted Feb 12, 2013 12:05 PM ET

1.

Armando,
Most people use Tapcon fasteners. These are available in various lengths up to 6 1/4 inches long.
http://www.concretescrews.com/tapcon-prices/large-diameter-tapcon.aspx

Posted Feb 12, 2013 12:23 PM ET

2.

Not sure Armando, but is sounds like you are planning on having the foam spaced out from the wall? The insulative sheathing needs to be right up against the wall with no airspace.

Answered by Brian Knight
Posted Feb 12, 2013 6:06 PM ET

3.

It's for the inside of a crawlspace... I'll make sure it's all tied in with the rim joist insulation. Without a furring strip I don't see an easy and viable way to attach the foam permanently to the wall. I'm open to any other ideas.

Answered by Armando Domingos
Posted Feb 12, 2013 6:23 PM ET

4.

Armando,
Did you see Marc Rosenbaum's blog about attaching foam to concrete walls with Hilti IDP polypropylene fasteners? Here is the link:
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/guest-blogs/basement-insu...

Posted Feb 12, 2013 6:34 PM ET

5.

Thanks, Martin. I see he attached the foam directly to the wall, which I am willing to do, but I'm also putting down a vapor barrier over the dirt crawlspace floor. What is your recommendation for attaching the vapor barrier behind the foam? Construction adhesive?

Answered by Armando Domingos
Posted Feb 12, 2013 6:39 PM ET