GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How do I air seal a wall cavity?

ekheerdt | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I am looking for a cost effective DIY way to air seal the inside of a wall cavity during new construction. I am sure this has been written up someplace on this site, but I cannot find it.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #1

Caulking the studs to the sheathing from the interior side with acoustic sealing is pretty straightforward stuff (but buy a powered caulking gun, eh?)

An air-tight drywall primer lives here:

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/information-sheets/air-barriers-airtight-drywall-approach/files/bscinfo_401_airtight_drywall_approach.pdf

Note, the harder part to seal well at the gypsum layer is the electrical boxes, but there are purpose-made flanged boxes available designed to be foam-sealed, eg:

http://airfoilinc.com/demo/demo.html

Using fire-block foam or caulk to seal the electrical penetrations of wiring runs through studs and stud plates is also a high-value/low-cost air sealing enhancement.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Eric,
    The two most common techniques used there days are the sealed sheathing method and the Airtight Drywall Approach.

Here's an article on sealed sheathing: Airtight Wall and Roof Sheathing.

Here's an article on the Airtight Drywall Approach: Airtight Drywall.

3. michaelbluejay | | #3

Dana's link to the "air-tight drywall primer" is dead.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Michael,
    Try this link instead: Air Barriers: Airtight Drywall Approach.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |