GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Is it practical to use solar to warm a slab in my shop?

charlied63 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I am currently in the process of building a shop 3/4 of which will be below grade and have a poured slab with radiant coils in the floor, I have equipment which I will be working on and consequently be lying on the floor. My question being in Southern New England on the coast will it be useful or cost effective to try and supplement the heat in the building with solar thermal panels to heat the concrete floor? thanks Chas.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-1115477 | | #1

Chas,
    I can't answer your question directly, but I suspect it would be interesting for you to visit this Guy's website: http://www.arttec.net/

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Chas,
    No, it won't be cost-effective. If you want to take advantage of solar heat on sunny days, install more windows on the south side of your building and fewer on the north side. During the coldest months of the year, when you really need the heat, you won't get enough sun to justify the cost of the solar thermal equipment.

Take the money that you would have spent on solar thermal collectors, pumps, and controls and spend it instead on better insulation, better air sealing details, and high-performance windows.

3. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #3

What Martin said. With a mostly sub-grade well insulated room/building in southern New England with reasonably designed passive gains the lighting equipment could carry the heating load, and if you have much equipment running in that shop you'd be looking at managing cooling loads more than heating loads.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |