GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What is the correct detail for apply stone to a poured foundation?

user-2310254 | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

Do I need an air space or particular flashing? I looked in the construction detail section but didn’t see what I was looking for.

I have a poured foundation. We intend to install real stone on the above ground portions. It will be field stone ashlar between four and six inches thick. What the best practice of this type of install?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Steven,
    Your foundation needs to address several issues. You need a footing to support the stone structurally. This can be the same footing used for the concrete wall, or it can be a concrete ledge at grade level.

In most cases, the wall needs to be insulated. If you are installing this type of stone facing, you'll need to plan for interior insulation.

Finally, you need to manage water entry. For information on this last topic, see Fixing a Wet Basement.

Assuming that you have addressed these three issues, you don't need an air space between the stone and the concrete.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |