GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Detail at REMOTE Wall & Lower Roof Connection

Brad K | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I’m in the design state of building a REMOTE house in climate zone 6A. I’m looking for a detail showing a lower roof line connecting to a REMOTE wall. How is waterproofing on the roof best dealt with at the wall intersection?

I’ve seen photos showing installing the EPS before the lower roof truss to allow for continuous insulation but cannot find anything showing how the waterproofing on the lower roof is then tied into the REMOTE wall.

Also, is there a detail for an non-insulated attached garage wall tying into a REMOTE wall? Concern is again maintaining the continuous insulation and the waterproofing at that intersection.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Brad,
    If a shed roof intersects a REMOTE wall or a PERSIST wall, the roof flashing at the intersection has a sloping leg and a vertical leg. The vertical leg of this flashing needs to be lapped by the upper wall's water resistive barrier (WRB).

In case you haven't seen it, you should consult REMOTE: A Manual.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |